Saturday, September 13, 2014

Goodbye World

I've been thinking about undertaking this project for a long time. I have the idea that this will eventually lead to a book. I've seen several "end of the world" books but none that focus specifically on The Rapture.

What is The Rapture? Let's look at its origins. Some say that there's nothing in The Bible about this but there is reference in First Thessalonians to those who are "dead in Christ" will be "caught up into the clouds" to meet "the Lord in the air." This idea has blossomed into the idea that before the events in Revelation take place that the innocent souls -- or, specifically, those who have dedicated themselves to Christ -- will be swept up into heaven. Some literally think that people will float off, possibly leaving their clothes behind, flying up into the clouds.

In popular culture, this has lead to a raft of films. Some call them "End Times" films, others "Rapturesploitation." I'll just refer to them as Rapture Films. I'll examine how they play into the various idea of The Rapture as written about on Wikipedia. I will look more at the films than books or television programs. I hope to cover the popular and the obscure. If you have recommendations or thoughts, please feel free to leave comments. Now, let's get on with the show...

No comments:

Post a Comment